July 11, 2016

Chart 59: Modified Mollie (Lorna), Block 63 in the Farmer's Wife 1930s Sew Along


A Funny Thing Happened When We Were Making Lorna

The From Marti Michell conversion charts for the 1930s Farmer’s Wife Sew Along are a huge team effort. Patti, Harriett and I all work together to make it happen. I do lots of the conversions, cutting of our blocks and write rough drafts of the instructions. Harriett helps with the conversions and does much of the actual sewing, following and correcting the instructions as she goes. Patti does the layouts and illustrates the instructions so effectively that you usually don’t even need to read them. Then she posts them for you.

Even though all three of us had looked at the finished Lorna block, it was at least 24 hours after she went up on the design wall that I noticed a little problem. Do you see it?



So, I got out a “Magic Mirror” and started looking. I felt like I was getting an eye exam. You know how the doctor says, “Better 1 (click) or 2? Better 3 or 4?” So I sent Harriett this text:

Better 1?



Or 2?



Just like the eye exam, we all had to compare 2 or 3 times to decide.

How about you? Better 1? Or 2?


My Modified Mollie Block: Lorna



Click on the image for a larger view. Click the link below to download the Chart for cutting and making Lorna:







The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W.


No comments:

Post a Comment