November 21, 2016

Chart 78: Lola, Block #52 in the Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt Sew Along


If you are one of the quilters who wanted to finish as soon as possible, Lola is probably one of the blocks that you made a long time ago. It was one I put aside for conversions, because the sizes were not obviously template friendly. One day it hit me that the measurements might be perfect if you work in metric and sure enough, they were.

Coincidentally about the same time I ran across this great tip in the "Threads" email newsletter, Threads for People Who Love to Sew!

We interrupt this regularly scheduled blog post...

If you don’t subscribe, I recommend that you do. Threads doesn't overload you with emails and it is easy to skim. I was a dedicated garment-maker before I started quilting and loved it so much that my college degree was in Textiles and Clothing combined with Home Ec. Technical Journalism. If I had to guess, I would say that I haven’t made a garment in 25 years, but reading the Threads Newsletter keeps me connected with my first sewing. You can sign up here: love.http://www.threadsmagazine.com/eletter/

Now back to the tip!

It has to do with tape measures that have both metric measurements and inches. Here is the question…Please divide 18-7/8 inches by 5 with just your tape measure.

Click here for the answer, assuming your tape measure has both inches and metric. You will especially love this idea if you do any machine embroidery or love to browse quilting magazines from around the world.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/47954/tip-divide-measurements-easily

My Lola Block



Click on the image for a larger view. Click the link below to download the Chart for cutting and making Lola:

Visit these other Farmer's Wife Sew Along blogs, too, for sewing tutorials and other info about the Lola block:

http://gnomeangel.com

http://thecraftymummy.com/






The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W.



No comments:

Post a Comment